General | Buddhism | Christianity | Islam | Judaism | Hinduism | Other Religions
When you are doing research on a topic, you will often encounter unfamiliar terms, or familiar ones used in a specialized way. DICTIONARIES can provide a quick definition and often some elaboration on the uses of the term. ENCYCLOPEDIAS provide background information on unfamiliar subjects, leading you quickly to key ideas and sources in developing your topic. Many encyclopedia articles will also include brief bibliographies which will lead you to further sources of information. HANDBOOKS may also give background through brief articles on various topics, definitions, addresses, and other factual information. A selection of dictionaries, encyclopedias, and handbooks covering Religious Studies topics follows. The resources include both general and specialized subject reference tools.
- Britannica Encyclopedia of World Religions (2006)
- The Concise Oxford Dictionary of World Religion (2003)
- This dictionary is also available in print REF: BL80.2.C74 2000
- Credo Reference Guides: comprehensive reference guides that explore a variety of resources for Christianity, Eastern Religions, Islam, Judaism, Religion, and World Religions. Use the tabs at the top to browse through the guides.
- Credo Reference Premium Database
- Eerdman's Handbook to the World's Religions REF: BL80.2.E35 1994
- Encyclopedia of Greek and Roman Mythology REF BL715.R65 2010
- Encyclopedia of Religion REF: BL31.E46 1987 16 vols
- Encylopedia of Religion and Film REF: PN1995.9.R4E53 2011 (Online version: http://site.ebrary.com/lib/upei/docDetail.action?docID=10453012 )
- Encyclopedia of Religion and Nature
- Encyclopedia of Religious Rites, Rituals and Festivals REF: BL31.E47 2004
- Encyclopedia of Women and World Religion REF: BL458.E53 1999
- Finding God in Cyberspace Gateway site which serves as an annotated guide to print and electronic resources on religions and all aspects of religious studies. "...provides a selective listing of the best Internet resources of interest to religious studies scholars and students of religion." Also lists search engines for finding relevant information on religious and spiritual topics and provides links to other selected guides. http://gresham.kenrickparish.com/contents.htm
- Internet Sacred Text Archive This site consists of "significant primary texts relating to religion and mythology." Includes Eastern, Western, Traditional, and Esoteric texts as well as writings by Charles Darwin, Mark Twain, Albert Einstein, and others. http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm
- Man, Myth & Magic: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Mythology, Religion, and the Unknown REF: BF1407.M34 1997 21 vol.
- Melton's Encyclopedia of American Religions BL2525.M449 2009 REF
- Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of World Religions Contains entries for "historical and legendary figures, religious movements, divinities and supernatural characters, ritual implements, place-names, theological concepts, and other ideas connected in some way with religion." REF: BL31.M47 1999
- Religion-Online A database of fulltext resources designed "to assist professors, scholars and general 'seekers' who are interested in exploring religious issues," this site aims "to develop an extensive library of hundreds of entries, presenting many different points of view, but all written from the perspective of sound scholarship." Over 5,700 articles and chapters in a variety of subject areas are available. The site is searchable, or can be browsed by the author, book, and other indexes from the site map. http://www.religion-online.org/
- Science, Religion, and Society: An Encyclopedia of History, Culture, and Controversy REF BL240.3.S37 2007 v. 1&2
- New Catholic Encyclopedia REF: BX 841.N44 2003 15 vol.
- The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church REF: BR95.O8 1997
- The New Interpreter’s Bible. Each volume covers Biblical books beginning with an introduction and includes a bibliography and outline of the Biblical book, critical notes, and a commentary. REF INDEX: BS491.2.N484 1994 12 vol.
- The Eerdmans Analytical Concordance Concordances list all occurrences of words and phrases in the Bible REF: BS425.W48 1988
- The Oxford Companion to the Bible (2012) E-Book or in print at REF BS440.M434 1993
- The Oxford Guide to People and Places of the Bible E-Book
- The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church REF: BR95 .O8 1997
- The Catholic Source Book REF: BX842.C33 2000
- A Classical Dictionary of Hindu Mythology and Religion, Geography, History, and Literature REF: BL1105.D75 1997
- Handbook of Hindu Mythology REF: BL1111.4.W55 2003
- Historical Dictionary of Hinduism REF: BL1105.S85 1997
- A Concise Companion to the Jewish Religion E-Book
- The Eerdmans Dictionary of Early Judaism REF BM176.E34 2010
- Encyclopedia of Judaism REF: BM50.E63 1989
- Historical Dictionary of Judaism REF: BM50.S65 1998
- Reader’s Guide to Judaism REF: BM50.R43 2000
- Academic Jewish studies Internet Directory Gateway site to over three hundred resources for the study of Judaism. Includes research institutes, libraries, archives, Internet sources, and RAMBI (the electronic index to periodical articles in Jewish studies which is an extremely useful site). Updated biweekly with a sidebar showing the status of all links. http://jewishstudies.virtualave.net/
- Controversial New Religions BP603.C66 2005
- The Encyclopedia of Native American Religion REF: E98.R3 H73 1991
- Encyclopedia of New Religious Movements (2006) E-Book or in print, with call number REF BL31 .E453 2005
- Encyclopedia of Cults, Sects, and New Religions REF: BL2525.L49 1998
- Cults in America: A Reference Handbook REF: BL2525.L486 1998
Created by: Sharon Clark, B.A., M.L.I.S.
Date Created: May 2001
Revised by: Suzanne Jones, B.A., M.L.S.
Revised by: Meghan Landry, BA, MLIS
Date Revised: 10-March-2016