I do not have general open office hours. I generally make appointments from 10am - 4pm Mon-Fri, but for students who cannot get to campus during those hours, I will make evening appointments.
I use BlackBoard Collaborate (what is this?) as a tool for helping patrons who aren't in the Library. It doesn't do any good to go there without telling me first so I can "meet" you in it, but then we can share audio, video, files, and even our live screens, for doing research or solving technical issues.
Teamviewer: For users who need me to actually control their computer remotely, not just see it, I like to use the free (for non-profit and personal use) software Teamviewer. Students can run it on a one-time basis to get help, without actually installing it directly on their computers.
Projects I am working on include:
- Textbook Project: Trying to make as many course-required textbooks free through a library copy (print or ebook) as we possibly can given budget limitations.
- Providing a friendly way for library staff and patrons to browse a list of our recently acquired books, print and ebook
- Analyzing long term usage trends on our print books and ebooks by subject
- Analyzing our journal holdings by Library of Congress classification. No single list of journals by LC class currently exists, so I am attempting to make one and hope to share it with other libraries.
- Improved video tutorials for my subject areas, particularly psychology.
- Every year, I undergo detailed analysis of the usage on our journal holdings, licensed databases, and print book and ebook collections to make recommendations for our collections budget - this is a kind of "forever project"
- Weeding the print book collection as appropriate to make room for newer books and other uses of the third floor space.