2023 Call for Applications
The OER Development Program is accepting grant applications for the creation or adaptation of open educational resources (OERs). The deadline for applications is Friday, December. 15, 2023, with work expected to begin during Spring or Summer 2024. Questions? Contact the Teaching & Learning Centre at TLC@upei.ca.
The Open Educational Resource (OER) Development Program provides funds for the creation, adaptation, adoption, and review of open education resources through 3 types of grants:
- Open Educational Resource or Textbook Grant: up to $6000
- This grant supports the development of a new open educational resource or textbook on a topic that is currently not covered by an existing open textbook.
- Open Textbook Adaptation Grant: up to $4,000
- the adaptation of one or more open educational resources or textbooks to create a new version or edition of an open textbook (i.e. a Canadian edition of an existing open textbook);
- Supplementary Resources Grant: up to $2,000
- This grant supports the creation of ancillary materials for existing open textbooks, including, but not limited to test banks, slide decks, or interactive media, etc. for an open textbook or other open education resource.
Applications that support first year courses will be given priority as they reach the largest number of students, but all applications will be reviewed and considered.
Application & Forms
- OER Development Grant Application Form [Google Form]
- Anyone providing instruction in a credit bearing course at UPEI may apply.
- Team members may be from multiple institutions, but at least one team member must be a UPEI instructor at any level.
- Applicants may apply as an individual or jointly as a course team.
- Applicants who are not tenured or on probationary contracts are eligible as sole applicants for grants that are proposed for completion during their current period of employment, and are eligible to be part of team grants where at least one member of the team holds a contract that at least meets the duration of the project.
- Agreement to release the final product, including source materials, with a Creative Commons license (CC-BY would be preferred which lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation).
- A commitment to use of the product in a credit-bearing course to be offered at UPEI.
- Follow best practices for accessibility of content by a diverse student population.
- Submit a final report after completion of the grant (form provided above).
Proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- The extent to which applicants include curation and customization of open textbooks that will be freely and openly shared throughout and beyond UPEI;
- Their potential impact on student experience in the form of high-quality materials, maximum access, open and innovative pedagogy, and cost savings to students;
- Projects that impact the most students, either with larger class size or multiple sections. The intent of the program is to distribute funds to maximize direct benefit to a wide range of student learners and inquiry across a diversity of disciplines;
- The inclusion of plans to re-use open educational resources in courses in subsequent semesters;
- Description of how you will measure success (e.g. improved access to curriculum, new partnerships, number of adoptions, estimate of money saved by students as a result, etc.);
- Development of a coherent project plan and timeline; and
- Accessible in the Library’s Pressbook site or on another open platform.
Past Grant Recipients and Projects
Some open textbooks are available on UPEI's Pressbooks platform. They can be viewed at https://pressbooks.library.upei.ca/catalog/.
2020 Grant Recipients and Projects
Recepients Grant Type Project Description Status Course Average Enrolment per Semester Dr. Bill Montelpare, Dr. Emily Read, Dr. Krista Ritchie, Dr. Teri McComber & Dr. Alyson Mahar Create a new OER, $2900 Applied Statistics in Healthcare Research
Subtitle:Theoretical concepts and computational methods using SAS applications and the Webulators
Completed NURS 6360 25 Students Dr. Andrew Godbout Create new OER, $3500 Competitive Programming: Start to Finish In Progress CS1920
120 Students Dr. Dave Hickey
Create new OER, $3500
Create/Adapt Supplement/Ancillary Resource, $1000
The Smartphone Storyteller: An Undergraduate's Guide to Digital Narrative
The Design of Not-So Everyday Ideas: InDesign Templates for Research Posters
24 StudentsDr. Dave Hickey & Dr. Richard Lemm
Create new OER, $3500 Cold Openers: Warm Up Exercises for the the Creative Writing Classroom In Progress In Progress 15 Students Dr. Joshua MacFadyen, Dr. Jim Clifford, & Dr. Lisa Chilton Create new OER, $3500 Practical Geospatial Methods for Historians In Progress ACLC 2090 25 Students Dr. Matthew Pauley
Adapt an OER, $1000
Adapt an OER, $1000
Dr. Christopher Power & Dr. Andrew Godbout Create/Adapt Supplement/Ancillary Resource, $1000 Lab Book Completed CS 1910
380 Students Dr. Lisa Steele, Dr. Derek Lawther & Dr. Bill Whelan Create/Adapt Supplement/Ancillary Resource, $1000 online downloadable flashcards (slide decks) based on a physics open textbook. Completed Physics 1110/1120
250 Students Dr. Libby Osgood Adapt an OER, $1000 Engineering Mechanics: Statics Completed ENGN 1230 75 Students
2022 Grant Recipients and Projects
Recepients Grant Type Project Description Status Course Average Enrolment per Semester
Open Textbook Grant Online Histology Resource for Bio 2260 Labs In Progress BIO 2260 / BIO 1210 250 Students Dr. Christian Lacroix & Ms. Heathyr Francis Open Textbook Grant Botany Lab Manual In Progress BIO 2020 96 Students
Dr. Stacey MacKinnon
Dr. Beth Archer-Kuhn
Dr. Brenton Dickieson
Dr. Phoenix Horrocks
Dr. Carla Digiorgio
Open Textbook Grant Inquiry-Based Learning Handbook In Progress UPEI 1020 / PSYC 2420 / PSYC 1010 PSYC 1020 565 Students Dr. Libby Osgood Create/Adapt Supplement Resource Enhancement of Engineering Mechanics: Statics In Progress FSDE 1230 80 Students Dr. Marina Silva-Opps Open Textbook Adaptation Grant Ecology Open Textbook In Progress BIO 2220 / BIO 4520 142 Students Dr. Joel Ross & Ms. Heathyr Francis Open Textbook Adaptation Grant Manual for generating figures, tables, and basic
statistics for communicating biological research
In Progress BIO 3310 100 Students Dr. Bill Whelan & Dr. Lisa Steele Open Textbook Adaptation Grant Open textbook for Physics courses In Progress Physics 1110 / 1120 250 Students