Description provided by the database publisher, Gale/Cengage:
Not a pro and con database, Global Issues in Context ties together sources to present a rich analysis of issues - social, political, military, economic, environmental, science related, health related, cultural - and headlines in world hot spots. It provides information seekers with a framework to better understand 21st-century issues and events while highlighting global connections and the interdependence of all nations.
Global Issues in Context focuses on broad issues, such as war, genocide, terrorism, human rights, poverty, famine, globalization, world trade, nuclear proliferation, and global warming, as well as more specific events and topics in the news that are related to these broader issues. It also includes detailed information on nations to provide a foundation for cross-cultural studies and, International periodicals and news sources that bring additional insight and currency.
Global Issues in Context includes a variety of sources and media formats:
- Overviews summarizing background information, historical context, and contemporary stances
- Expert perspectives analyzing an issue or event through multiple aspects
- Reference documents providing background information on all issues and nations
- Full-text international magazines, academic journals, and news sources
- Primary sources
- Statistics, including interactive graphs, tables, and charts
- Multimedia elements
- Links to Web sites, including government sites and organizations
Global Issues in Context also features tools such as a curriculum standards search, Lexiles reading scores for periodicals, a translation feature, research tools and guide, a link to Discovery Education's streaming, a vast digital media library, for customers who subscribe to streaming, and more!