- Contact Library »
- PEI Resources
- Article Databases »
- Quick Links »
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- Digital Collections
- Strategic Initiatives
OneSearch allows UPEI library patrons to search almost all of the library's research resources in a single platform, a single search. It uses the EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS) product.
This is a one-year "pilot" project, running the academic year 2012-2013, to see whether this product significantly enhances the library research experience for UPEI library patrons. Feedback is most welcome!
OneSearch does NOT replace access to the research resources individually - you can continue to access them within their original search interfaces by using the Article Databases menu.
What is included?
The list of products included is very long, but it includes all EBSCOhost products, all or almost all of the full text journals licensed from Elsevier/ScienceDirect, JSTOR, Sage, Wiley, Springer, ACS, IOP, BioOne, and ProjectMuse, many of the specialty historical full text databases (Alexander Street Press), and millions of index-only article and book records from various sources.
Some Proquest databases (CBCA, ASFA, PAIS, Philosopher's Index) and Biosis are included but as optional add-ins, using checkboxes on the far right of the search results screen.
What is not included?
Note that EBSCO is constantly adding more resources to their list. This list of UPEI licensed resources that are NOT included in OneSearch is as of October, 2012:
- A few Proquest databases, Dissertations & Theses, Periodicals Archive Online, and the Globe & Mail historical archive
- Eureka/CEDROM (which provides the full text of local PEI newspapers)
- Gale Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO)
- Intelex Past Masters
- ITER Gateway to the Middle Ages (Univ of Toronto)
- Abstracts in Anthropology
- PubMed is not included, although Medline is
- PEN Nutrition
- OriginsOnline (Catholic News Service)
- LexisNexis Academic - most sources not included, but the law reviews are included full text; however, many newspaper articles are indexed by Newsbank in OneSearch, and the Check@UPEI link will get you to the full text in LexisNexis Academic
- Ebrary, CAB Ebooks and MyiLibrary ebooks are not full text searchable - their summary catalogue records are included with the rest of the UPEI Library Catalogue (the main CAB Abstracts database IS included)
- Locally created databases such as PEI PAD, IslandScholar, IslandImagined, etc. are not yet included but these are being considered for the future
This product is integrated with EBSCOhost, so patrons who have created "My EBSCOhost" accounts should find those accounts also accessible in OneSearch. The features relating to exporting to RefWorks, saving search results and search strategies, etc. are also present.
Guests are welcome to use OneSearch, but will find some indexing resources and most full text items are blocked from view due to product licensing restrictions. We choose to display these anyway so that guests would have a sense of how many other resources would be available if they come to Robertson Library, where they will have free access on our public computers to the entire range of resources.
UPEI users off-campus should use the "login" link offered at the top of the first search results screen to get complete access to the full text and all index results. Use your UPEI "network" username and password, the same account you use to access Moodle and campus email. [NOTE: Do not confuse the "login" link for full text access with the "sign in" link at the top right, which is for logging into the "My EBSCOHost" features described above.]