Instructional & Education Services supports the missions of the Robertson Library and the University of Prince Edward Island by promoting information literacy. We strive to educate our diverse user population to define information needs, and to locate, critically evaluate, and use all available information resources effectively and responsibly. Fostering these skills will prepare our users for success in academia and beyond. We are committed to anticipating and embracing changes in the information and instructional environment, and collaborating with our users to foster a shared sense of enjoyment and empowerment in the pursuit of lifelong learning. April-2002
We work to accomplish this mission through:
- Course and/or assignment-integrated instruction: developed in partnership with departmental faculty, these sessions are designed to incorporate research strategies for a specific discipline and/or class.
- Drop-in Orientation Tours: designed to orient students and other users to the building and the resources and services offered. Tours are approximately 30 minutes in duration, and are offered at various times throughout September and January. Read reviews of the tours.
- Virtual Tour: gives a brief overview of the services and resources offered by the Library, as well as an idea of where they are physically located, serving as an alternative or supplement to a physical tour of the Library.
- Workshops: intended to provide hands-on introductions to specific tools, such as the Library Catalogue and the various article databases, as well as guidance in search strategy development and the evaluation of sources.
- Subject Research Guides: serve as introductions to the resources available in various subject areas. These resources include standard reference works, relevant indexes/databases, useful websites, citation manuals, etc. Other guides provide tips on topics such as how to avoid plagiarism, cite electronic resources, read a call number, etc.
- Database Guides: provided to help users make the most efficient use of the electronic databases available to the University of Prince Edward Island community.
For further information, contact:
Betty Jeffery, B.A., M.L.S.
Instruction & Education Services Librarian
Date Created: 15-October-1999
Date Revised: 30-January-2007